Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:33:15 +0200

Hi,

this sounds really cool and I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of
support in this list if you have any questions ! Gecko for certain would
be a valuable addition to GNUstep.

Please go forward !

> 1) Gecko is a C++ set of classes that do the parsing, rendering, etc. of
> platform.  Herein lies the first problem.  As far as I can find, I
> understand that C++ and Obj-C are not exactly friendly.

Note that there are good chances that a ObjC++ will be made be available
again. This would probably easen the integration a lot, but probably
isn't ready for some 1/2 or 1 year (maybe you should contact Stan
Shebs).

> This C
> library, in turn, would call the Gecko frameworks controller (let's call
> it NGLController).

BTW: Those C libs would be in itself a nice project. Eg the same is done
with Qt, which has C wrappers which are wrapped in ObjC, AFAIK.

> Is this feasible?  Do you see a better way?

I think there is no better way right now.

> 2) I would like
> to see 10 different browsers spring out of it.  Competition of browser
> interface would bring some great innovations.

Well, that's not really competition (it's like browser using the IE
control). But valuable nevertheless.

BTW: would that result in a XUL implementation based on AppKit ?

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com/
Web Application Technology for Enterprises