Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Pedro Ivo Andrade Tavares
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:23:58 -0300

At 13:19 9/4/2001, Brian Powell wrote:
Most of the crew is currently working on porting Gecko to Mac OS X; however, I am focused upon creating a framework based around Gecko so that any Obj-C application based upon Cocoa or GnuStep can have HTML rendering capabilities. I believe that this could be an extremely valuable tool to each community whether it is Mac OS X or the amazing GnuStep.

Indeed it would be; good luck to you and your team in this effort! Take heart, for it will not be easy.

May I suggest a different path for your effort: study XPCOM (Cross Platform Component Object Model). All Gecko objects are defined in an Interface Definition Language, which is compiled with a tool called xpidl into source C++ files. XPCOM is supposed to be able to be used across several languages, altough there is only support for C++ and JavaScript today.

This framework could implement XPCOM in terms of ObjC objects; if everything goes alright, Gecko C++ objects (such as nsiWebBrowser and such) could be seen as ObjC objects, by running the *.idl files through a xpidl-to-objc tool. That would make the job a lot easier.

Also, I suggest you do not try to go overboard in providing gnustep-gui buttons, and such, to Gecko. First focus on embedding Gecko as it is today into a NSView. Then, if XPCOM has been correctly implemented by the Mozilla team, you will be able to write XPCOM ObjC objects to provide a wrapper over the gnustep-gui objects.

Pedro Ivo Andrade Tavares