Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Richard Dale
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:29:32 +0100

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Brian Powell wrote:
> On Monday, April 9, 2001, at 04:33 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

> > BTW: Those C libs would be in itself a nice project. Eg the same is done
> > with Qt, which has C wrappers which are wrapped in ObjC, AFAIK.
> >

> Hmmm, I did some searching about on google and couldn't find a link to
> the project that has wrapped ObjC around Qt.  Do you have any
> information?  I appreciate it!
I'm doing the wrappers for KDE/Qt/C/Objective-C. I have a pair of source
convertors, one to convert C++ headers to C .h and .cpp files, and the other to
convert the same headers to the matching Objective-C .h and .m files. How many
headers/classes/methods are there in the gecko C++ api?

They have a hard coded 'type translation table' of the Qt/KDE C++ types and
their C/Objective-C mappings, which you would need to adapt for wrapping Gecko.
Please email me if you would like the two converters, and I can send them as
attachments c. 100k each (they are written in perl, adapted from the 'kdoc'
documentation tool). They aren't checked into the KDE CVS yet, but should be in
a couple of weeks in time for 2.2.

Another technical issue is, if you instantiate an instance in the C++ world, and
then it is subsequently referenced in the Objective-C world you need to
automatically create an instance. Then, at '- dealloc' time you need to make
sure you don't free those sort of instances, because the C++ code would expect
to be responsible for freeing them. Only C++ instances created as a
result of alloc/init'ing an Objective-C instance directly should be freed then.

-- Richard