Re: Library Paths?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Library Paths?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:55:56 +0100

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 05:57 AM, Steve Núñez wrote:

Hi All,

I've been waiting (for over a year), for GNUStep to mature enough for general purpose use. Now that it appears to have done so, I've just installed the latest release on a Redhat 7.0 machine (with patches).

The kind of systems we're writing are servers, without a GUI, so we're not interested in the AppKit (at least not yet). I've followed the LogTest example that I found on the gnustep.org site and created a simple application. However I can't seem to run this application without using 'openapp'. If I try to run it directly from the command line, as I do other ObjC applications I've written on this platform, it complains:

./LogTest
./LogTest: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-
xdps/libgnustep-base.so.0: undefined symbol: __objc_msg_forward

And this is after adding /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-
gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps to the /etc/ld.so.conf file.

There are (at least) four ways of doing it.

Add /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu to your /etc/ld.so.conf,
or use opentool,
or do a make install to install your program in the standard GNUstep location,
or set up your environment as instructed in the HOWTO

The opentool script will set up library paths and run your tool.

Installing a program will create a shell script with the same name, which will
set up libraries and run the binary.

Doing '. /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh' will set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH
with the correct libraries.

So, my question is: is it possible to write stand alone server apps with the FoundationKit, and how can they be run from the command line? What sort of library paths (perhaps LD_LIBRARY_PATH?) is required?

Yep ...
Just remember to do '. /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh' before you start.... put it
in your .bashrc or somewhere like that.

Also, if anyone has any further information on using the GNUStep makefiles in this environment, I'd like to read it. The examples from someone (Nicoli?) seem geared torward GUI applications.

The makefiles in base/Tools are pretty straightforward examples.