Re: Another library irregularity

From: Steve Núñez
Subject: Re: Another library irregularity
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:51:21 +0000

This is what leads me to think that there may be some problem. I'm not a
beginner when it comes to Unix, compilers and building programs, and I'm
convinced there's something not quite right (or perhaps my understanding of the
GNUStep environment needs improvement, which is why I'm asking here).

I have configured these things, in that order, as listed in the installation
instructions on http://www.made-it.com/GNUstep/Build/idx.html. The fact that
most of the other packages (seemed) to build correctly makes me think that the
gnustep-make package is installed correctly. The very first thing I did was add
the GNUStep.sh line to my .bash_profile, and so I'm sure the environment is set
up correctly. For some reason, guile doesn't seem to be cooperating, and I'm
also having trouble running the LogTest example and the 'defaults program as
well. As an example, here are the results of running LogTest from two different
directories:

[nunez@jupiter gnustep-guile-1.0.0]$ pwd
/home/nunez/GNUStep/gnustep-guile-1.0.0
[nunez@jupiter gnustep-guile-1.0.0]$ LogTest
LogTest: error while loading shared libraries:
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps/libgnustep-base.so.0:
 undefined symbol: __objc_msg_forward

now if I run it from the directory in which it resides:

[nunez@jupiter Tools]$ pwd
/home/nunez/GNUstep/Tools
[nunez@jupiter Tools]$ ./LogTest
Apr 11 08:47:25 LogTest[15950] No local time zone specified.
Apr 11 08:47:25 LogTest[15950] Using time zone with absolute offset 0.
Apr 11 08:47:25 LogTest[15950] Executing

it seems to work, with the exception of the timezone. I get a similar problem
if I run the 'defaults' program to try and set the timezone:

[root@jupiter Tools]# defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" Singapore
defaults: error while loading shared libraries:
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps/libgnustep-base.so.0:
 undefined symbol: __objc_msg_forward

and just to prove that I've run GNUStep.sh, here is the output of 'env' (edited
to show just GNUStep stuff). I notice that the LIBRARY_COMBO is set to xgps,
and this is what I recall setting it to when configuring gnustep-make (xdps is
just a bit too unstable for me at the moment, and I need stability); I don't
know how the other libraries were installed in xdps.

[nunez@jupiter Tools]$ env
PWD=/home/nunez/GNUstep/Tools
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/nunez/GNUstep
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/tibco/tibrv/lib
GNUSTEP_HOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
CLASSPATH=/opt/dev/nunez/cbr/classes:/opt/dev/nunez/cbr/jars/xerces.jar
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/opt/GNUStep/System
GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/opt/GNUStep/Local
MACHTYPE=i386-redhat-linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_FLATTENED=
GNUSTEP_HOST_OS=linux-gnu
LIBRARY_COMBO=gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/opt/GNUStep/System/Makefiles
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
GNUSTEP_HOST_VENDOR=pc
GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/opt/GNUStep/Network
SHELL=/bin/bash
GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU=ix86
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/home/nunez/bin:/usr/java/jdk/bin:/usr/tibco/tibrv/bin:/home/nunez/GNUstep/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps:/home/nunez/GNUstep/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu:/home/nunez/GNUstep/Tools:/opt/GNUStep/Local/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps:/opt/GNUStep/Local/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu:/opt/GNUStep/Local/Tools:/opt/GNUStep/Network/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps:/opt/GNUStep/Network/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu:/opt/GNUStep/Network/Tools:/opt/GNUStep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps:/opt/GNUStep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu:/opt/GNUStep/System/Tools:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
GNUSTEP_PATHPREFIX_LIST=/home/nunez/GNUstep:/opt/GNUStep/Local:/opt/GNUStep/Network:/opt/GNUStep/System
GNUSTEP_ROOT=/opt/GNUStep

Am I the only one experiencing these problems? What is the fix?

Regards,

        - SteveN