Re: Change in LIBRARY_COMBO - building backends as a bundle

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Change in LIBRARY_COMBO - building backends as a bundle
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:45:35 +0200

First of all congratulations on the Brave GNU World exposure. Great !
And a pitty though that Slashdot did not pick-up on the 1.0.0 release, but
we can't have it all...

Then now to the great invention of GUI bundles. All seems to be working
very well, except that there is something that I do not understand.

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Because of this there really is no need for the backend component of
> LIBRARY_COMBO, so I removed it. Now LIBRARY_COMBO by default is just:
>
> gnu-gnu-gnu

Where I still do expect the parts to stand for (from left to right):
gnu- Objective-C runtime
gnu- Foundation library
gnu- GUI library

When installing gnustep-base it gets installed in gnu-gnu-gnu. How does
base know what GUI libary it will be used by ?

> You can switch between backends using a user default 'GSBackend'. By
> default it uses libgnustep-xgps, but to swtich to the dps backend do:
>
> defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-xdps

Here more or less the same situation arises. Maybe setting
gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps instead of libgnustep-xdps makes the system more flexible
and future proof.

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw