Re: Dual head question

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Dual head question
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:53:28 +0200

Hi,

Jan Trembulak wrote:
> Is it in principle possible to perform this shift on the Xwindows system?
> As far as I know, the window is being created by using the XCreateWindow...
> function that features 'Display *' as one of the arguments. This "display"
> is opened by the XOpenDisplay function to which the number of "screen" is
> being handed over as an argument. If my consideration is correct,  the
> window created by X server is associated with the concrete "screen". Is it
> posible at all to change this "screan" assigned to the window?

This depends on the X server and it's support for multihead.

There are two ways to use multihead with X11:
a) running a single, multihead-ready X server
b) running multiple X servers, one for each gfx card

a) is completly transparent to the application, like multihead under
Windows or NeXTstep. The two gfx cards are joined to a single area
(display). Only some X servers support this operation, I think XF 4 is
one of them.

b) I don't think that it's possible to drag Windows from one screen to
the other in this setup. The only thing I can imagine is a
'reopen-on-other-display' button.

The advantage of b) is/was that each server can run with it's own
visual, eg true color/lowres on one for render output, low-color/highres
for the CAD area.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com/
Web Application Technology for Enterprises