Re: gsweb questions

From: Kim Shrier
Subject: Re: gsweb questions
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 02:10:51 -0500

Mirko Viviani wrote:

> On Wed, 09 May 2001, Kim Shrier wrote:
> > 1. Is the intent of gsweb to be a drop-in replacement for WO 4.x.
> > In particular, should WO applications be written using WOxxx
> > class names or GSWxxx class names. I see that originally the
> > GSWxxx classes were written and then some code was added for
> > WOxxx compatibility. Which direction is gsweb heading?
>
> What do you mean exactly ?

Is gsweb supposed to look exactly like WebObjects or is it only
supposed to work like it.  Is the intent for people to write
applications that will run under both WebObjects and gsweb or
is gsweb going to extend the framework and encourage people to
use the extensions.

Another related question is, can I take a WO application that
is running on Mac OSX and simply recompile it on a FreeBSD
system with gsweb and have it work without any source changes?

> > 2. There are gswapp.make and gswbundle.make files as well as
> > woapp.make and wobundle.make files. Either set looks like
> > it needs a little tweeking to get them working. Is the

> ??? They are working.

Yes, if you add the appropriate things to Makefile.preamble.  I
was looking at brain.make and at the files in the
Makefiles/Additional directory.  It looks like the intent is
that there should be a file Makefiles/Additional/gsweb.make
that would contain definitions for GSW_LDFLAGS, GSW_LIBS, and
GSW_DEFINE macros that would handle linking with the
appropriate libraries as well as provide a macro that the
source could test to see it it is being built as part of
a gsweb application.  I have written one up and will send it
in to bug-gnustep@gnu.org so that it can be added to the make
package if this is the desired thing to do.

There are notes in brain.make that indicate that the same sort
of thing should be done for woapp.make.  If everybody is using
gswapp.make instead of woapp.make, should woapp.make and also
wobundle.make be dropped from the make package?

> > intent that the gswxxx.make files for projects using the
> > GSWxxx naming conventions and the woxxx.make files for
> > projects using WOxxx names? Is one naming convention
> > going to be the "prefered" naming convention?
>
> They are not intended for naming convenction. I've never used
> woxxx.make, only gsweb*

Maybe I am reading too much into what I am seeing in the make
files and support classes.

> > 3. Since I am new to WebObjects, does someone have a simple
> > gsweb app that I could use to test out my setup and that
> > I could use as an example of a functioning gsweb application?
>
> I've only the simple HelloWorld. It's a bit old and I don't know
> if it works correctly now.

Thanks.  After making a few changes, I got it to run just fine on
FreeBSD 4.2, Apache 1.3.17 with the mod_gsweb adapter, and using
the 20010506 snapshot of all the GNUstep code.  I have attached
the modified HelloWorld app.  I have also attached the gsweb.make
file that I put into /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/Additional
I really appreciate the example code.

> ---
> Bye,
> Mirko <mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it> (NeXTmail, MIME)
> <mirko@yourbox.net>

Kim
--
 Kim Shrier - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:kim@tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development

# -*-makefile-*-
#   gsweb.make
#
#   Makefile flags and configs to build with the GNUstepWeb library.
#
#   Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
#   Author:  Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com>
#   Based on code originally in the gnustep make package
#
#   This file is part of the GNUstep gsweb Library.
#
#   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
#   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
#   as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
#   of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
#   License along with this library; see the file COPYING.LIB.
#   If not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
#   59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

ifeq ($(GSWEB_MAKE_LOADED),)
GSWEB_MAKE_LOADED=yes

#
# Set the GSWeb library flags
#

GSW_LDFLAGS =
GSW_LIBS    = -lGSWeb -lGSWExtensions -lGSWExtensionsGSW \
        -lGSANTLR -lFoundationExt -lgnustep-db
GSW_DEFINE  = -DGSWEB_LIBRARY=1

GNUSTEP_DEFINE = -DGNUSTEP

endif # GSWEB_MAKE_LOADED