Re: gnustep-base vs. libFoundation

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gnustep-base vs. libFoundation
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:33:14 +0200

David Wetzel wrote:
> Stefan Urbanek wrote
> > I would like to ask, what is the difference between gnustep-base and
> > libFoundation? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each other,
> > differences between provided classes/methods and so.
>
> gnustep-base is GPL and libFoundation is not. I am not sure about the license
> but I was told that it is still free.
> Helge?

libFoundation has a BSD style license (much less restrictions than LGPL
[gstep-base is LGPL, not GPL]).

One difference is that you can compile lF without the GNUstep
environment, that is, it can be used like a usual unix library. There
are a lot more differences, difficult to mention them all. Gstep-base is
more complete now I think, but IMHO lF has still a much 'cleaner'
implementation.
Matter of taste ;-)

Greetings
  Helge