Re: Best HW to run NextStep?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Best HW to run NextStep?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:16:21 +0200 (CEST)

[...]

>     LJ> B - While visited the Apple site I realized that NeXTstep
>     LJ> (actually OpenStep I guess) was ported to Sun SPARC platforms
>     LJ> and also to Intel platforms. The hardware seems to be easy to
>     LJ> find but I have several questions on that: B.1 - Can the Intel
>     LJ> or Sparc version be considered as "compliant" with the
>     LJ> original flavor?  B.2 - Where can I find (CD/download) the
>     LJ> NeXTstep OS for these machines?
>
> Yes, although it's a matter of your definition of "original
> flavor". For example, I almost completely replaced the original NeXT
> machines with "modern" PCs: the hardest part was to find out a
> supported configuration (in particular the SVGA part). For the
> application, it was a simple recompilation. This was done from my old
> NeXTStation Turbo, running OpenSTEP 4.2 but with the older NS 3.3
> development environment, producing a MAB executable containing both
> motorola and intel code! This alone, compared to the DLL nightmare of
> some other "modern" OS.... :-)
>
> So, at least if you don't get a NeXTStation almost for free, or if you
> are not particular interested in its hardware, I'd suggest trying with
> a PC. You will miss the very fast graphics capabilities(*) of the black
> hardware, but on the whole you will benefit of the much faster CPU.
>
> ciao, lele.
>
> (*) Even compared to a Pentium III with a Matrox G200, I consider my old
> NeXTstation turbo graphic engine *much* faster. Too bad it takes an hour
> os so to recompile the application :-/

Yes but you  can always use the  NeXTstation and put a fast  PC on the
network  with  OPENSTEP  too,  and  set the  "Build  Host"  option  in
ProjectBuilder  to compile  on  the  PC instead  of  compiling on  the
NeXTstation. The best of both worlds.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around