Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Alvin Jee
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:25:05 -0700

Howdy All!

Around Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Dennis Leeuw thusly wrote:
> That means we have two audiences to address:
> 1- Developers
> 2- Users

  Yes, and I would add a subtle distinction to audience 2 -- users who do
not use the GNUstep user environment, but want to use a GNUstep-based app.
I'm working on a GNUstep-based app that will be run by people who can't
care less about the KDE/Gnome/CDE/Linux/Solaris/HPUX/GNUstep jumble. They
want to use my app to get their job done and I want to develop the app
using GNUstep (gui).

  The thing I need to figure out is how to deploy my app onto machines
that are not running GNUstep at all. E.g. I need to know which libraries my
install script needs to include with the app and which daemons need to be
there and so on. I can't have my customers downloading stuff from the 'Net
and installing anything. I have to have a complete package ready to go.

  So, ideally, I would separate the GNUstep stuff into 3 parts:
    - GNUstep developer things
    - GNUstep user run-time package
    - GNUstep user environment (Workspace, Mail, ...)

  BTW, my customers are all using CDE on Solaris/sparc machines. Oh, and I
think that GNUstep has infinitely more value-add _with_ the gui package
and that GNUstep-base is not very interesting all by itself (although it is
still great in and of itself) ... IMHO...  :-)

Cheers!

---
Alvin Jee
mailto:alvinj@hpl.com
NeXTmail gleefully accepted!
Sending bits through the Internet since 1984.