Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:42:31 -0700

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:31:32 +0200
Laurent Julliard <Laurent.Julliard@xrce.xerox.com> wrote:
> PS: on a totally different chapter, could someone explain to me why
> Windowmaker is said to be GNUstep compliant. Ok, it comes with the

There are several others, mainly those with full support for MWM Atoms.
Window Maker is not only GNUstep-compliant, but also -aware.

Well, right now ... Ian's Interface might (hopefully) change that.

> NeXTstep look and feel but it does not use gnustep-gui right?

Window Maker uses WINGs to sort-of emulate gnustep-gui.

> So how does it relate to GNUstep exactly?

Window Maker is the only (AFAIK) WM which supports GNUstep-Atoms.

Window Maker is a really cool window manager by itself, but it looks
to me as if Alfredo is moving away from his original goal, bloating
it with a lot of (to me and probably others as well) useless stuff,
which makes is sort-of unusable as a WM for GNUstep.

What we need is a small WM which is just that - a WM, nothing else,
using GWorkspace.app as workspace manager.

'Interface' looks promising, though Ian is currently more involved
with development for xMach. I'm still playing around with my source
but also lack the time to get involved too deeply in writing another
WM. Well, hmm, maybe, if there's demand...

--
Chris