Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:48:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello there!

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:17:02 +0200 (CEST)
> "M. Grabert" <xam@grabert.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> > > The hype around KDE and GNOME is based on their being different to
> > > any window manager at the point of time they emerged but being similar
> > > to Weendoze, making a transition much easier.
> > that's true. Especially KDE is alot like Windows (arglll).
>
> So is Gnome, basically, though it looks different.
>
> > well, I think GNUstep should be easy, simple and elegant, but not
> > necessarily ALL the apps (I'm not talking about the GUI here).
> > I think the GWorkspace.ap should include a browser with has
> > the capability to handle all kind of files and protocols.
> > It's NOT the job of GWorkspace.app to open/edit those files, nor
> > to handle the full protocols (ftp, http). I think more of using
> > bundles and external apps here
>
> That's what Services are for ;-)

I forgot ;)

> > you misunderstood (or better: I didn't express myself clearly enough):
> > That's not the point - we can conform to the unix philosophy; we
> > just use a wrapper called GWorkspace.app (or something else)
> > to use all the services we need for like a single huge app.
>
> Well, the Workspace app is your interface to the system. If it's
> GWorkspace.app or something else, doesn't matter. And as long as
> applications register their services, those will be accessible through
> the Services menu entry ...

[...]

> I still don't understand WHY someone would want to use a different
> look?! Is there anything MORE elegant looking that NeXT/OPENSTEP???

Don't ask why. People want it.

[...]

> No, there is no hype about it, which I think is a good sign.

But that's one reason why it will be very hard to make
GNUstep a real competitor that everybody uses.

> > And GNUstep is VERY last for the linux desktop competition.

sorry - a typo here: GNUstep is VERY late ...

> You know the German proverb "Die letzten werden die ersten sein".
> (The last will be first - for our English speaking minority ;-)

makes sense nevertheless ;)
I say it is not possible, but it's hard to realize. Especially if
you don't accept compromise (e.g. implementing stuff that is not
typical for NeXT, but is typical for other systems)

[...]

[...]

> > > What the heck is an Euro? Is it edible?

[...]

> Use Dollars ...

they don't taste!

> > To answer you question: yes, it is edible, but it might kill you.
>
> Edible, but only once?

just like fly agaric ;)