Re: [gnu.gnustep.discuss] Gorm controls addition - help?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: [gnu.gnustep.discuss] Gorm controls addition - help?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:09:52 -0600

Shellac wrote:

> In what must be counted as a shock, it worked (i.e. I could see it and
> drag it to a window). However when added to a window it seems (?) to
> lose its content (ie the table), eg dragging an outlet to the content
> of the ScrollView shows ((nil)) in the connection.

We all hope that GNUstep gives people pleasant suprises like that :-)

I poked around a bit, and it appears not to  work because NSTableView
doesn't properly implement initWithCoder: and encodeWithCoder:, so
nothing gets drawn (although the table is still there).

I think the problem with connecting an outlet is different. It really is
connected to something, but the inspector displays "nil" as the name
becuase internally, Gorm associates a name with every object it knows
about, and since the table is a subview of something else, Gorm doesn't
directly know about the object.

> So simple question - is this easy to fix? And what else do I need to
> do to make this a useful addition? IIRC MacOS X IB lets you rename the

Yes and NO. Basically it works, although things aren't displayed
correctly. What really needs to be done is to put in some code to not
allow someone to connect to an object that Gorm doesn't know about, but
also add code to handle connecting to objects in a container (P.S. I
think the ScrollView really goes in the container pallette, and the
table would be something you add to the scrollview - sort of the way the
code for NSBox works now) - but of course that's more work.