objective-c: how slow ?

From: Aurelien
Subject: objective-c: how slow ?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:35:24 +0200

Hi,

I was just wondering what was the impact of messaging on the speed of an objective-c program. I've read somewhere about the @SEL directive (I'm not sure about the name), which allows for optimizing often invoked methods. But is there a possibility that the compiler does such optimization right away ? Is the @SEL "trick" an absolute requisite when optimizing programs ?

Does someone know about potential benchmarking results ? Has someone already tested the performance differences between programs written in C, Objective-C, C++ and Java ?

Is there a reason (performance...) why an objective-c runtime and (at least) the foundation library shouldn't be ported to an embedded linux ?

Aurélien