XML plists ?

From: Marko Mikulicic
Subject: XML plists ?
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:01:30 -0400

Hello,

I tried to set XML property lists.
After I wrote "defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSMacOSXCompatiblePropertyLists"
(twice to get an XML .GNUstepDefaults)
my .GNUstepDefaults looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
    <key>NSGlobalDomain</key>
    <dict>
        <key>GSMacOSXCompatiblePropertyLists</key>
        <string>yes</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

but any gnustep program complains:

.:1: error: Extra content at the end of the document

^

File NSDictionary.m: 431. In [GSMutableDictionary -initWithContentsOfFile:] Contents of file '/home/marko/GNUstep/.GNUstepDefaults' does not contain
a dictionary

How can NSUserDefaults know to read .GNUstepDefaults in XML format
if that information is stored in that file itself ?
Does it (or should) read the "<?xml" stuff ?
Maybe I must recompile all with some flag?

I would like to use external XML editors to play with property lists
but I really like the objc interface with dictionaries so I don't want
to use libxml directly.
 Is XML support in gnustep still unfinished ?
Can I instruct NSDictionary to read and write a plist in XML while
preserving defaults as normal plists ?

Marko