GNUstep-Launchpad on Cygwin1.32 Build Overview

From: Joe Graham
Subject: GNUstep-Launchpad on Cygwin1.32 Build Overview
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 18:45:41 -0600

Thanks to all the help (instructions) from Adam Fedor. (you da man!) But I
was able to successfully build GNUstep LaunchPad on Cygwin 1.32.  This is
relevant if you want to hack on GNUstep with cygwin.  These instructions are
pretty much outlined in the GNUstep-HOWTO but I felt it would be useful for
those building on cywin1.32 and needed a recent detailed build overview.

Platform: Windows2000 prof.
cygwin 1.32
Versions:
GNUstep-objc 1.0.1
GNUstep-make 1.0.1
GNUstep-base 1.0.2

Build Steps:
1. remove gcc's libobjc
this is done by doing a gcc -v and remove the libobjc.a from the directory
where specs resides.
In the case of my machine (gcc2.95.3-5)
rm /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin32/2.95.3-5/libobjc.a

2.  configure, compile and install GNUstep-make
    In the case of my machine I just configured without any arguments.
    This created the GNUstep filesystem structure in the /usr/GNUstep
directory.
    The GNUstep filesystem layout will be _very_ relevant later.
 a. Create the GNUstep directory in your home directory

3.  build GNUstep-objc
    before building you need to set the proper threading lib.
    As per recommendation I set the threading the single in the GNUmakefile.
    Also just to be safe I set the THREADING variable after the #ifeq
directives.
 a. Edit GNUmakefile to set THREADING variable
    (my example)
    GNUstep-objc(source)/GNUmakefile (line 43)
    THREADING=single
 b. make shared=yes
    You need to make the GNUstep-objc library with the (shared=yes)
argument.
 c. make install
 d. make sure that objc.dll is in your
    $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/ix86/cygwin directory.
    If it is not there copy it from your source directory.
{source}/shared_obj/ix86/cygwin
 e. make sure that libobjc.a is in your
    $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/System/Libraries/ix86/cygwin
  Note: this make install script fails on my machine and I had to manually
copy these files.
4.  configure, compile and install GNUstep-make again.
    Note: you can optionally do a make distclean before any (repeat) step
including this step.
5.  source the $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
6.  configure, compile and install GNUstep-base.

Good luck.  If anyone has already had luck compiling and distributing
GNUstep applications on windoze systems I would like to hear about it.  I
would like to take another look at these build scripts soon and possibly
trying to build without the GNUstep file structure.

-joe