Re: objective-c: how slow ?

From: Erik M. Buck
Subject: Re: objective-c: how slow ?
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:23:21 -0500

> Can methods be added at runtime to the cache (suppose they were builded
runtime
> by byte-code) ? I could be very easy to implement a RAD tool for objc,
> or even implement a Smalltalk or Self system on top of the objc runtime
> (which would have goot C interfacing though objc/openstep wrappers) ?

Yes.  New methods are added to existing classes at runtime all the time via
dynamically loaded categories.  How the methods are created is irrelevant.
See Objective-Everything http://www.tiptop.com/Objective/ and Joy
http://www.aaa-plus.com/news/ObjectiveC-as-ScriptingLanguagepressRelease.htm

Adding methods to existing classes at runtime is completely routine.  Adding
new classes at runtime is common.  There used to be a free tool called eval
that would dynamically (just in time) recompile method implementations,
dynamically load the new implementations, and patch the runtime to use the
new versions with existing classes.  In other words, you could edit the C
code of a method implementation while the program that uses the method was
running, press a button, and load the new implementation into the running
program.