Re: Distibuted Objects: exceptions in remote methods

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Distibuted Objects: exceptions in remote methods
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:51:10 +0100

On Tuesday, September 18, 2001, at 02:31 PM, Rene Cornils wrote:

Hi there,

I've encountered a problem when a remote method (called via Distributed
Objects) raises an NSException. From my understanding, the exception
should be passed to the client invoking the remote method. But the server
just crashes. I can't even catch the exception on the server by
encapsulating the runloop with NS_DURING etc.

Is this a bug, am I doing something wrong or do I have a fatal
misunderstanding of exceptions in remote methods?
Comments and/or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rene

P.S. Sorry for reasking this question but there was no reaction on my
first posting and I'm still stuck. On request I could provide some small
example code.

Exceptions do indeed work as you describe.

I would suggest that your problem is most likely simply a crash rather
than an exception - so your only option is to debug the remote process
with gdb to see what is crashing.