Re: GWorkspace porting troubles

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GWorkspace porting troubles
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:29:46 +0100

On Saturday, October 27, 2001, at 12:11 AM, LHelldorf@kabel.de wrote:

I am in the very early steps of porting GWorkspace to Mac OS X. I do this mainly to make some more developers interested in this project and to give
Apples Finder (which is a Carbon App) some competition.
At first I created a Project Builder project (.pbproj) and added all the
sources as Folder References. Then I tried to build the thing.
Here I had some troubles with the macros RETAIN, ASSIGN, RELEASE, TEST_RELEASE and AUTORELEASE since those don't exist on Mac OS X.

My Question is now:
Where do I define such macros (new headerfiles?) and how do I include them
into the source?

How about a MacOSXCompat.h file to put all compatibility related defines etc
(wrap the contents iof the file in an ifdef so it's not used in GNUstep
and simply include it in all the source files.

Then keep compatibility changes in the source files minimal by putting stuff
in the common compatibility header instead.