Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++

From: Tom White
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:42:28 -0500 (EST)

zlaski@apple.com wrote to gnustep-discuss:

> The purpose of this post is twofold.  First, we'd like
> to know whether there exists an interest in the community
> for incorporating Objective-C++ capability into FSF gcc 3.x.

I would love to see this happen, so count me in as very interested.

> Second, if there _is_ interest, we would like to request
> permission to make one small change to the C++ build
> process _right now_ that would make everyone's life
> easier from then on.  The idea is to change gcc/cp/parse.y
> to gcc/cp/cp-parse.in, and then use sed to separate out
> the C++ and Objective-C++ portions of the Yacc file,
> _exactly_ as is presently being done with C and Objective-C.

Hopefully this can be changed soon.

> The good news about adding Objective-C++ to gcc is that
> very little actual new code will be required!  Most of the
> functionality already exists in the cp/ and objc/ folders. :)

This is good news, I had thought that the reason objc++ had not
made it back into gcc was because apple had to use a special
LL(k) parser. An objc++ compiler will greatly ease the migration
path for gnustep developers and allow objc users to easily
use existing c++ libraries. Hopefully the gcc people will also be
excited about adding in this valuable contribution from apple.

Cheers,
-Tom
     Tom White                                 tom@media.mit.edu