Re: questions about GNUstep

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: questions about GNUstep
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:52:45 +0200 (EET)

On 21 Nov, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> 1. I don't think the wmaker people want to use objc (in the past ...
> pre-3.0
> gcc has had intermittently poor objc support) for portability.

wmaker is meant to be a standalone window manager too, which means
people compile/run it on system without gcc (using native compilers).
wmaker compiles/runs on IRIX, AIX, HPUX, Sun/Solaris using their native
compilers which I doubt that offer objc support.

making it dependent on gcc will reduce its availability on various
platforms, and will gain nothing (maybe lose speed if we use objc
instead of plain C). I think we can interact just fine with GNUstep from
the C level.

--
Dan