Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:08:09 +0000

On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 12:15 AM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:28:33 +0100 (CET)
Erik Dalen <dalen@jpl.se> wrote:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Frederico.S.Muñoz wrote:
Docking GNUstep apps doesn't work in Window Maker. They end up
being called by the binary (full linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu etc);
I can of course change the command to openapp, but better
integration could perhaps be viewed as a wishlist item?

I don't want to start another FW, but I'm curious:
Why should GNUstep be bend to fit Window Maker, not vice-versa?
According to WMaker's HP, WMaker offers integrated support, so
should not WMaker be changed to accept what GNUstep offers?
Taking a close look at GNUstep's source, it's already too
closely tied to WMaker (IMHO)

I think this is a case of the xgps and xdps backends needing to integrate
a bit better with X, rather than anything windowmaker specific.

Basically, the problem is that the existing code is just giving X the
path to the executable, while what X really needs is the command actually
used to launch the app (the openapp  command line).

An obvious solution to this would be to modify openapp to pass its own command line as a user default string (eg. -OpenappCommandLine "...") when it starts an app, and modify the backend library to use this default if it is available.