RE: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software

From: Scott Francis
Subject: RE: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of Proprietary Software to the Project
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:30:03 -0600

i'm curious about something (yes, genuinely curious) - i am a fan of
opensource, and free software.  but i've also been working in the
corporate world for quite a few years, so i'm a little out of touch.

my questions:
1.  is it the position of GNU that all "paid-for" software is bad?
2.  is it ok to pay for the "service" that someone supplies (ie, hours
of time and toil), rather than the finished product?  can someone be
"paid" to write "opensource" or gnu software? i mean, rather, is that
considered "legit"?
3.  the logical extension of this thing seems difficult to understand to
me... the position that you should not buy software seems interesting to
me... ie - don't buy the operating system, use the free one.  or help
write the free one.  so far so good.  but how about the hardware?  do we
all need to use only free hardware?  how do we acquire such free
hardware?  how about the firmware that runs much of the hardware?  does
that need to be opensource as well?

adam, i understand why you are declining accepting the gift from vmware,
and that it doesn't fit with the gnu paradigm, but i don't think it
makes you a "dolt" :)  there are people who are wanting to contribute to
gnustep who are not quite as committed to GNU in general - ie, they use
windows (god forbid) and other paid-for software, but are also
contributing to free software projects.  i don't see anything wrong with
that, personally, but that seems like an individual choice.  getting the
free licenses was a way to encourage those people to contribute and to
test their code on multiple platforms without having to buy multiple
machines, or dual boot them.  however, advertising the provider of those
licenses doesn't fit with the free software motif.

i've used a trial version of vmware, and it is a very professionally
written product, i've enjoyed using it.  i'm not willing to shell out
$300 for it though :)  no matter how well advertised :)  if they drop to
$50 though, then i'm in!  hey, i pay for games, so why not for some
other random piece of cool software :)  its entertainment value as
well... i pay for dvd's and movies and lots of other stuff...

let me close by saying:  my apologies if any of this post is offensive,
i just haven't participated in many discussions on free software
philosophy, so i'm missing the FSF/GNU points of how should software
developers support themselves, when (if ever) is it okay to ask for
compensation for software written (finished product), and when (if ever)
is it okay to pay for software, hardware, services, or goods in general
(not just software).

please, feel free to take this offline and just reply to me if you want
to educate me without spamming the list :))

cheers,
scott