Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of ProprietarySoftware

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of ProprietarySoftware to the Project
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:47:04 +0100

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:33:29 +0100
Fred Kiefer <FredKiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> I don't want to add more mails to this discussion, I just want to state
> that I can't agree more to what Nicola wrote. I would not be working on
> GNUstep if this project wasn't under LGPL and this is more important

LGPL and GNU is not the same thing. The point which disappoints me is
that GNU seems to be so 'extreme' in its position. If this donation can help
the GNUstep project and if the company made their donation exactly because of
that, then I just fail to see why such a donation should be 'bad per se'. This
is why I am disappointed, it is not LGPL or GPL or the annoying 'free vs closed
software discussion'. It is the fact the Adam has to write an email to apologize
for accepting a donation which was intended to help all of us, in the end!
Based on the fact that most of the GNU developers use closed sources all day
anyway, ie. the bios, the micro code in their CPUs and so on, this looks very
cynical (and wrong) to me.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert