Re: .tex .pdf backend for autogsdoc worth the trouble?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: .tex .pdf backend for autogsdoc worth the trouble?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:25:35 +0000

On Saturday, December 22, 2001, at 08:30 PM, Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:

A time ago I wrote an .tex, .pdf backend for AutoDoc.
Now that autogsdoc is around I might take a stab
at porting this backend to autogsdoc.

But I am a little confused.  I looked at it briefly,
and there are two programs

- autogsdoc, producing .gsdoc and .html from source
- gsdoc, .html from .gsdoc.

Now what is the status of gsdoc?  Is this the basis sequence?

To be obsoleted by autogsdoc ... it was written using libxml,
while autogsdoc uses the ObjC wrappers round libxml instead.
It was also my first attempt, and not a particularly good design,
so that's two reasons to get rid of gsdoc.

        autogsdoc            handtune         gsdoc
source -----------> .gsdoc  ---------> .gsdoc -----> .html

No...  it's

        autogsdoc          autogsdoc
source -----------> .gsdoc --------> .html

Currently autogsdoc uses the following classes -
AGSParser: to take source code and produce a propety list describing it.
AGSOutput: to take the property list and produce a gsdoc file.
AGSIndex: to take a gsdoc file and produce cross referencing information (uses GSXMLParser) AGSHtml: to take a gsdoc file, and AGSIndex objects, and use them to produce html (uses GSXMLParser)

The idea was (eventually) to have different equivalents of the AGSHtml class to produce output in different formats and perhaps even to build a structure into autogsdoc so that the output classes
could be loaded as bundles.

Note on properties of the .tex backend of AutoDoc.

- producing .tex files looking like the NextStep docs
- producing from .tex the .pdf files, containing
  links.

external tools used:

  tex  (plain)
  dvipdfm

Knowing this, is it worthwhile to add such an backend?

That could be really good. I'd like to do backends as bundles. designing some way for autogsdoc to locate/load the appropriate bundles and handle file dependencies to know
when to use each backend should be fairly simple.