Re: Unpcomming FreeBSD 4.5 release and gdomap

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Unpcomming FreeBSD 4.5 release and gdomap
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:11:48 -0800

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:56:06 +0000
Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
> SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured
> many times.  when trying to run it.  On my machine at home it does start
> running after this, though on a more recently updated work machine it will
> not run at all and quits complaining of an inability to identify the local
> interface.
[...]

Does that particular machine participate in a network, ie. is your networking
up and running, except for 'gdomap' ?

SIOCGIFFLAGS is used to get the flags for manipulating a network interface
through a kernel interface [for a lack of better description, for more info
take a look at ifnet(9)].
I'd say the kernel doesn't support the networking card(s) properly. Take
a look at dmesg(8) and check if all devices are detected.
If everything is as supposed to be, try to start 'gdomap' for localhost
only.

Anyway, FreeBSD4.5 is a pre-release. If this is a bug, let them know so a
possible fix can make it into the kernel in time.

--
Chris