Re: Release of gui libraries

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Release of gui libraries
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:25:44 +0000 (GMT)

> > I hope to make a release of the GUI libraries within 3-4 days. If there
> > are any serious bugs (i.e. ones that cause apps to crash), please let me
>
> Has anybody else tried using GCC 3.0 to compile GNUstep or is this not
> generally recommended ?

As far as I know, gnustep works perfectly with GCC 3.0.x, and it is quite
well tested.

Actually, GCC 3.0.3 is the recommended compiler.

But you must use GCC 3.0.x (and only GCC 3.0.x) from the very ground up
... if you have an old gnustep installation with a differente compiler
version and you want to change, you need to remove all your old libraries
/ makefiles / applications / whatever which you created with the old
compiler (basically all your /usr/GNUstep directory), and rebuild the
whole of gnustep from scratch ... including configuration steps ('make
distclean' in gnustep-make, gnustep-base etc, then reconfigure and
recompile each of them). [I normally just move /usr/GNUstep to something
like /usr/GNUstep-2.95.3, then build using gcc-3.0 from scratch; whenever
I want to go back, I move[/symlink] /usr/GNUstep-2.95.3 to /usr/GNUstep
back again.]

You can't mix stuff created with the old and new compiler.

If you have problems with 3.0.x, it's most likely a configuration problem.
If all else fails, send in a bug report/help request, trying to include as
many configuration details and debugging information as possible, and
we'll try to do something ;-)

Please try following the full process of rebuilding everything very
cleanly from scratch before asking for help ... it will save you/us some
time.

> I dont know if this counts as a bug though as GCC 3.0 is still
> experimental as I understand it.

Well - GCC 3.0 is not experimental - it's a fully released and stable
compiler.  3.1 is experimental, but approaching release.