Re: New bitmap code - testers required

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: New bitmap code - testers required
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:45:10 -0500

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:03:40 +0000
Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

Hello Pete:

> > (1) It crashes sometimes. Please see attached file for a backtraces.
>
> Hmm, thats interesting - the crash is in a piece of code I didnt touch at
> all, so the behaviour should be no different. Possibly I am corrupting
> memory somewhere along the way ? Does this always happen on the same
> image,

After further testing it looks like the crash is caused by the rounding
error as discussed in previous thread:

        Coordinate transformatioins [Was: Release of gui libraries]

as the images that crashes the program are the same. Also, I am not too
sure how accurate the backtrace is because every time I load the debug
version of Gworkspace.app it crashes on the first image (any) that I load
into the Content Inspector.

> Are you drawing a large image into a very small space every time ? It
> shouldnt be any slower than before to display a normal 8 bit image, but
> minification will slow it down considerably, as will reading from any
> oddly aligned bitmap structure. Cacheing a created thumbnail is probably
> a very good idea in general.

Yes, I am. I was testing it by scrolling through a directory of large
images with the Content Inspector open in Gworkspace.app- it was painful.
Also, images that are smaller than the Content Inspector are being scaled
up which is not a good behaviour.

Please also deregard my png comment, I thought that the images that I had
in a certain directory were png's but in fact they were jpeg's. Still no
png's in the Content Inspector :-(.

> and if so could you send me that image so I can see how the
> decoding is being done and to verify that it is doing that part properly

I will send one to you privately. I don't want to send large attachments to
the list.

Regards,
Charles

--
The box saids Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux