Re: Objective C++ Status

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: Objective C++ Status
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 12:02:03 -0800

Joe Graham wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone know the status of the Objective C calling C++ integration in
> the Objective C compiler which I think is called "Objective C++".  Basically
> does any version of the gcc Objective C compiler currently support invoking
> C++ code.  Thank you very much.

The hacked version of GCC 2.95.2 that Apple currently includes with
the development tools for Mac OS X includes ObjC++, and we're close
to having it working for the GCC 3.x that we expect to use in future
OS X releases.  I don't know of any other GCC versions for which it's
available.

Apple has offered to contribute Objective-C++ to a future version
of FSF GCC, but the GCC Steering Committee, whose charter includes
decisions about whether to include new languages in FSF GCC, has
yet to say whether or not they would accept it.  The Steering
Committee and its members are described at gcc.gnu.org; if you
want ObjC++ in FSF GCC, please lobby them, either as a group
or individually.

Stan