Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:55:52 +0100

Am Donnerstag den, 21. Februar 2002, um 21:48, schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

As an intermediate step I'm currently trying to get GNUstep to
work on OS X - I'm running into trouble, I'll report later ...

GNUstep on Mac OS X/Darwin is still in the progress of beeing ported.

Great. Let me know if I can help.

Meanwhile GNUstep base (Foundation) compiles under Darwin with the stock
compiler (Apple patched gcc 2.95.2),

Can't say that, using the (g)cc from Apple Dev tools.

Even "configure" doesn't work: internal compiler errors in several places, "nested functions" don't work either (syntax error), compiling a basic ObjC app failed. Reducing optimization didn't help.

Having the option of gcc 3.1 from the Darwin repository I stopped looking into it for now.

I'm using the most recent distribution, not current sources off CVS.

On Darwin, is it expected to use the Apple runtime environment or the GNUstep environment? Is there any difference once all Apple patches are in the public gcc?

Cheers,
Markus

P.S.: writing these lines, the idea came to mind there might be an issue with the file system, since I was using a HFS partition (case-insensitive).
Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/