Re: thoughts on openapp

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: thoughts on openapp
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:42:21 +0000

> Thanks for the correction.  I was mostly working on command line tools
> using emacs (edit, build, debug) and scripts (to run the tools with
> appropriate args).  Much less often, I'd run an app (typically from an icon
> or finder).

Same here - I used to work almost entirely from the command liune, only
firing up Interface Builder or Project Builder when absolutely
necessary. I had aliases for this stuff anyway -oh, and I was
developing NextStep code under OpenStep with a dual environtmewnt
insatlled whichmade things evenmorefun ;-)

> Perhaps "make install" should create a simple script in an appropriate
> place, i.e. $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools or $GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT/Toosl ...

What I was suggesting is somethinglike having a ~/AppBin in your
path, then a script in .profile or somewhere removes all links in
that directory and does a recorsive find on all the directpries where
you mightplace Apps looking for directories ending in .app with an
executable file within them bearing the nameof the directory.these can then be
linked into the AppBin which is in yourpath. Hey presto workingapp names
from the command line...

-bat.