Re: Problem building gnustep-base

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Problem building gnustep-base
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:45:47 +0000 (GMT)

Ok - sorry - my fault - I didn't read enough carefully :-) - let me know
if you find out what the problem is

> The strange thing is that I am totaly confused by what is happening.
> I just installed gcc-3.0.4 in /usr/GNUstep and added
> /usr/GNUstep/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4
> /usr/GNUstep/lib
> to my ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig
>
> I set the environment var CC to /usr/GNUstep/bin/gcc, these are to me always
> the standard things I do
> when upgrading a compiler. The only thing that is different is the fact that
> I use Debian now and I
> used to use Slackware.
>
> And added to the beginning of PATH /usr/GNUstep/bin.
>
> On the commandline the function reveals the correct libobjc.so:
> maggy:/usr/src/SPM/gnustep/core/make#$CC -print-file-name=libobjc.so
> /usr/GNUstep/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/libobjc.so

> > I don't understand how/why this is supposed to work.
>
> This was an already available function and the -print-file-name option just
> returns the entire path to
> the libobjc.so file, which is quite handy if everything else fails ;)

Ok - my point was that if you have modified /etc/ld.so.conf, the linker
should be finding libobjc.so without any help, so uncommenting those lines
would change nothing.

> >  gcc_shared_libobjc=`$CC -print-file-name=libobjc.so`
> >
> > otherwise you're using the default gcc shared libobjc, but compiling with
> > the newer compiler.
>
> With the above mentioned changes to PATH, CC and ld.so.conf I disagree.

Yes - you are right in this case

> So I don't think I did anything wrong, but still with the default
> configure script I get:
> <snip>
> checking for shared objc library... NONE
> <snip again>
> checking whether objc has thread support... no
> checking if the compiler supports autodependencies... yes: gcc major version
> is 3
> </snip again>
> </snip>
>
> With:
> gcc_shared_libobjc=`gcc -print-file-name=libobjc.so`
> I atleast get:
> checking for shared objc library...
> /usr/GNUstep/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/libobjc.so
> Which seems correct to me

it shouldn't make any difference, the shared objc library was found
anyway.

> I didn't ignore it.

Sorry - you're right.