Re: why is the font cache so greedy?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: why is the font cache so greedy?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:12:40 -0700

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

My question is, why can't the font cache be demand inserted?  Why load up all
of the fonts when only a tiny handful are likely to be used?  if this can not

That would probably work in most cases, except when you wanted an NSFontPanel. Then we'd have to look through all the fonts anyway to see which ones the system had.

We could probably play some games to get around X server limitations. Perhaps only search for fonts in the current encoding (assuming we wouldn't change it on the fly, which would be nice to support).

We could even hack through the font path using XSetFontPath/XGetFontPath so we would only search one part of the path at a time.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you