Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:01:12 +0000 (GMT)

> > Thanks - I immediately applied what I could do without any harm - I
> > renamed 'Apps' to 'Applications'.
>
> I don't know about that...I rather like 'Apps'. 'Applications' has a
> pretentious "feel" to it.

I feel that 'App' is a short abbreviation, and so less user friendly for
non-English native speakers, and for non-computer nerds in general.

I find 'Application' much easier to understand, because it is more
explicit.

To me it's like the difference between calling a directory /libs and
calling it /Libraries, or between /usr and /Users.  Power users always
understand both.  Newbies and 'normal users' (and non-English speakers
too) don't like the abbreviations, because they are obscure.

I was assuming that this was the same for everyone, but I see your point
about the 'feeling' - I probably missed the language nuance.