Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:36:52 -0700

Tim Harrison wrote:

I know this would probably cause another war, but I'd like to see GNUstep move toward the use of frameworks for the system. That way, Libraries is no longer needed.

Not to be pushy on the subject, but what is the reasoning behind the choice not to move -base, -gui, etc to frameworks instead of libraries?

Well, one of the major reasons is that to really work, frameworks need to be properly supported by the compiler AND the linker. And I doubt we are going to get those people to change anytime soon.

Otherwise we are limited to putting in a bunch of hacks all over the place to sort-of support frameworks, but not really getting it right. As it is, we only have one or two hacks to get resources for libraries :-)