Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Saibot
Subject: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:38:52 +0100

Hello,

The company I am working for as two applications that work on mac OS X. Both of these use the Objective C++ gcc compiler that apple provides.

We are going to check how GnuStep can help in making the port from Mac OS X to windows and linux easier, and if we consider it the way to go, probably allocate part of our time in coding for GnuStep.

I am not really familiar with NextStep, only with Cocoa, so if my questions appear stupid, please forgive...

My questions are the following:

- Did any of you already try to use a gcc modified with the apple patches to compile ObjC++ code that can run on windows/linux. I don't really care whether anyone but me uses the compiler as long as it generates code that performs the task on these 2 platforms as well as on OS X. So, the patches being accepted into the mainstream gcc are not something I really care about.

- Does the GnuStep implementation of NextStep support anti-aliasing and floating point coordinates for drawing.

- How does a GnuStep program compare to a Cocoa application in terms of performance? (it is obviously hardware dependant, but an approximation will do me fine).

- Is GnuStep closer to NextStep in implementation or to Cocoa when implementations differ?

- Does GnuStep work on windows (I saw some notes about it on the website but couldn't figure out whether it actually works or not, especially since there is an item mentioning "port GUI to windows").

- Does (or will) a widget (for instance, a NSButton) look the same on windows and linux or do they each rely on the "typical" widget appearance of the OS it runs on?

Thanks,

Stephan