Re: How small could you get GnuStep?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: How small could you get GnuStep?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:55:03 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
Helge Hess wrote:
When I reread my posting and saw the DGS word, I know why it won't work ;-) The reason why X11 isn't used in Qtopia is, that X11 is far too heavyweight for PDA resources. [...]

This is recycled garbage that people say too often.  TinyX with a toolkit is
*still* smaller than Qtopia will be after they reimplement all the useful
things for embedded devices (eg network display) that they've lost.  They'll
also want you to install the compatibility bits on your desktop too, I'll
bet, to get the same features X11 gives you today.  See articles on sites
like linuxDevices about it.  Also, the Jim Gettys interview at
http://www.linuxpower.org/display.php?id=211 may interest you.

Ok, I expressed it in the wrong way. I agree that X11 as a protocol is probably not to heavy and has indeed nice features like network transparency. Point is, X11 based Qt and Gtk+ failed initially on PDA being too heavyweight, they removed the X11 server, now it works just fine. Even if the TinyX, which probably wasn't used in the first Linux PDAs, only consumes 700KB as written on the website you refer, 700 KB are still a *lot* of RAM on a PDA just for driving the display system.

DGS may be too heavy, but I don't know that much of it.  Do you?

Well, I know that existing implementations are far too heavy ... And only implementations count.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG    - http://www.skyrix.com
Portal Technology for Distributed Enterprises