Re: gstep-make, FORCE_USER_ROOT

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gstep-make, FORCE_USER_ROOT
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:34:06 +0100

On Thursday, April 4, 2002, at 03:26 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

Hi,

we have this in gstep-make-1.3.0, GNUstep.sh:
---snip---
#
# Ask the user_home tool for the root path.
#
if [ -z "$GNUSTEP_FLATTENED" ]; then
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=`$GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/$GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU/$GNUSTEP_HOST_OS/
user_home user`
else
  GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=`$GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/user_home user`
fi
---snap---

Isn't calling user_home unnecessary if I configured with --with-user-root ?

Well, user_home tells GNUstep.sh the value you configured.

Problem 2: I'm almost sure now that user_home injects a carriage return (^M) into my environments variables. Is there anything known which could be the reason for this ?

Nothing I know of.

Why not do 'user_home user | od -c' to see exactly what user_home is producing?

I it *is* producing a carriage return, you need to look at how the FORCE_USER_ROOT
variable is being defined when user_home is compiled.