Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:43:08 -0700

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:29:28 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 02:05 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> > Application launching seems to be slowed down (very much). Also when
> > using pasteboard in application for first time, there is long delay
> > (about 10secs) after operation will begin. It is very noticable with
> > dragging. I am running a XDM session to another host. I think, this has
> > to do somethink with contacting gdnc and gpbs, but I am not sure. Here
> > is backtrace of interrupted application while waiting after launching:
> If you have forgotten to start gpbs and gdnc, the system will try to
> start them for you automatically, print a warning message to stderr,
> and wait several seconds for them to start up.

Is there any documentation on HOW to actually launch gdnc and gpbs?

If you log in and neither gdnc nor gpbs run, you will get a message,
that they are not running, and that the preferred way to launch them
would be during startup.

If they ARE launched during startup, each user logging in will get a
message, that they cannot be contacted, and new instances (one for
each user) is started.

If they are launched during log-in (eg. via ~/.xinitrc), again each
user will have their own instances.

I'm not sure whether each user really needs his own "copy" of gdnc and
gpbs running... but it would make sense.

However - if a user logs off, gdnc and gpbs will keep running ... but if
he later logs back in, gdnc and gpbs again can NOT be contacted and
ANOTHER instance for both will be started (regardless of how they got
launched in the first place).

And, if you kill them by hand, gdnc will terminate nicely, gpbs will
dump core - same happens if you shut down your machine.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour or does this only happen on my system?

What's the appropriate way to launch either one? During system startup,
or via ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession ?

--
Chris