Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:14:53 -0700

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:32:00 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Did you do that before I added the autoconf checks for the networking
> bug or after?
> I've only heard of this bug affecting FreeBSD-4.0 ... I thought later
> versions fixed it.  But if this is not the cause of your problem then
> I'm at a loss to know what is.

Just ran a complete (ie. removed the old cvs- and install-tree) checkout
of GNUstep, and re-built everything.

Everything compiles through (though gnustep-back complains about an
allegedly missing setkey/encrypt, due to a missing -lcipher).

Fired up the GNUstep startup script,

:0> gdomap -N
Registered names are -
  GDNCServer-the
  GDNCServer-64.95.194.245
  GDNCServer-the.netguru.com
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-the
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-64.95.194.245
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-the.netguru.com
:0> openapp Finger.app
Apr 18 16:09:12 Finger[75961]
I couldn't contact the notification server for local host -
so I'm attempting to to start one - which will take a few seconds.
Trying to launch gdnc from /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Tools or a
machine/operating-system subdirectory.
It is recommended that you start the notification server (gdnc) either at
login or (better) when your computer is started up.
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/freebsd/gnu-gnu-gnu/gdnc: Uncaught
exception NSGenericException, reason: unable to register GDNCServer-the
:0> lsof -i | grep LISTEN
[...]
gdomap 74941 nobody    6u  IPv4 0xc8615260  0t0  TCP *:gdomap (LISTEN)
gdnc   74943   root    5u  IPv4 0xc85e7100  0t0  TCP *:15828 (LISTEN)
gpbs   74945   root    5u  IPv4 0xc85f0c20  0t0  TCP *:15833 (LISTEN)
[...]

BTW: (gnustep-base)
checking whether SO_REUSADDR is broken... no

*sigh* and it was working just fine before the update ...

--
Chris