Re: Bundle installation

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Bundle installation
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:06:21 +0100 (BST)

> > > Of course, it wouldn't run anyway, since apps can't be linked against
> > > frameworks with GNUstep (only the .so is symlinked into the libraries
> > > dir, it seems). :/
> >
> > If you are silently reporting a bug, please provide full details! :-)
>
> I discovered it while testing various methods of getting ld to put the full
> path to a lib into the executable.
>
> Take a framework I use in Preferences (PrefsModule):
>
> In System/Libraries, there is a libPrefsModule.so, which is a symlink to
> System/Library/Frameworks/PrefsModule.framework/Versions/Current/libPrefsModule.so
> -- which is not in the lib path, so apps linked against the framework can't be
> run.

Why ?  The dynamic linker will find libPrefsModule in its path, follow the
symlink, and find the framework shared library object.

I must be missing something :-) - anyway I just tried and it works - on
GNU/Linux systems at least (perhaps it's a portability problem ?).

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, in attach you find my
test -

* Compile the framework, then install it (it's installed into
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT).

* Go into Tool/, compile the tool, then run it.  The tool runs and uses
the framework correctly ... so perhaps I'm missing something - where is
the problem ?