Re: GSXML

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GSXML
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:33:15 +0100

On Sunday, May 19, 2002, at 08:44 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

It was the first time I was using GSXML and I have few comments about it, mostly about method naming. In GSXMLNode there is a method named -children. I was expecting (by the method's name) to return an array of node's children, bt
it returns first child of the node.

Also some method names are abbreviated (prev, doc, setProp:). Well, it
requires less typing, but it is inconsistent with other GNUstep/Cocoa method
names (previous, document, setProperty: or setPropertyValue:).

Reports of all such inconsistencies welcome ... the classes were originally written by someone unfamiliar with OpenStep, and while Nicola and I have put some effort
into making them more consistent, the job is not complete.

In NSSet, for example, we have setWithArray:, setWithObject: and setWithSet:. In GSXMLNode we have nodeFrom:. I think, it should be nodeFromData: (then we
can have nodeFromString: and similar).

There are just rather cosmetic things, but I think, appropriate and consistent
method naming makes writing code easier.

One question: is there an Objective-C XML library that is available for both GNUstep and MacOS-X? Maybe some wrapper around libxml (like GSXML) and core foundation with unified interface, so it is not needed to write the same code
twice.

GSXML can be used on MacOS-X ... It has been separated out as a subproject so it can be built independently from the base library. I know it needs some porting work by MacOS-X users to make it build 'out-of-the-box' (eg. 'make additions=standalone' to do that), but this is just awaiting some MacOS-X users to supply any patches needed.