Re: Makefiles verbosity patch

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Makefiles verbosity patch
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:26:30 +0200

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 10:13 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am Donnerstag den, 13. Juni 2002, um 18:36, schrieb Nicola Pero:

You can get full
messages, in the old way, by using 'make messages=yes'

Is there any chance to log the full messages into a file (e.g. "Makefile.log", "/tmp/Makefile.log"), similar to what configure does?

While I appreciate the decreased screen clutter, I think it's somewhat annoying if you have to restart a project build just to find out how the compiler was invoked. Bigger projects often take a long time to get back where they were already.

How about:

gmake > /tmp/Makefile.log 2>&1 &

I use similar things for long-running compiles like make world on FreeBSD. You can then grep for errors and other conditions which are of interest to you or mail them to a build master for automated builds and .... etc. etc.

Because there are myriads of possible options what to do, I'd recommend not to put any logfile option somewhere. Use standard Unix stuff like pipe redirection and whatnot for these tasks.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com