Re: App-Icons

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: App-Icons
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:47:31 -0600

Chris B.Vetter wrote:
Hi,

Tim Harrison just mentioned on #GNUstep the low traffic on this list, so
I decided to do something about it... hopefully this does not result in
a flamewar (and I won't get stoned for heresy...)

Ok, last weekend I was playing around with a couple of window managers,
the sort that implement 'toolbars' at the bottom of your screen, and
noticed (not for the first time) that GNUstep app-icons are usually
mapped _behind_ the toolbar ... quite annoying. Yes, I know, Window Maker
is supposed to be used (right now) or at least works best.

Anyway, let's assume we have a window manager, that uses an Atom, say
WM_WILL_HANDLE_APP_ICONS, indicating that it will take complete control
over GNUstep app-icons, GNUstep then would create the icon, set the
appropriate Atoms - but does not map the icon to the lower left corner.
Instead, the window manager is free to do whatever it feels is right.

I was actually hoping that something like this already existed, but I haven't found it yet. Perhaps a global default would do...

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you