Re: Is GNUstep ready for a challenge?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep ready for a challenge?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:55:10 +0200 (CEST)

> From: "Juergen Gnoss" <jgnoss@cyberfun.de>
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:17:54 -0700
>
> Hi to all,
>
> what the subject say's...
>
> A challenge? what do i mean with that?
>
> I'm a System integrator, at least is my job in the business world
> called so.  In my normal environment we create software for high
> integrated medical devices.
>
> In the past (some time ago) i had also some software to do with
> interactive GUI's and i used NeXTSTEP to implement this. Now i got
> another time a project where i have to care about the UI.
>
> GNUstep seems to me be the best base to implement this project. The
> things what i see how the project is going and how advanced it is at
> the moment is great.
>
> Up the road, there are some things they give me headache. But it could
> be that i only found not the right information source.
>
> Q: what's about database integration?
>
> I know there is a db package in GNUstep that's a partwise
> implementation of EOF 1.1 but this project has to deal with large
> amount of data. How comfortable is gstep-db to use? I doesn't found a
> sample that works with oracle. Any IDEA ????

Actually, any sample of usage  of EOF 1.1 should work with gnustep/db,
and    with    the    Oracle7Adaptor.     The    test    program    in
gnustep/dev-libs/db/tests should  work, it only needs a  SQL script to
initialize  the  Oracle  database  as  expected for  the  test.   When
developing the  Oracle7Adaptor, I used  another small program  to test
the adapter layer directly.  I join its sources "as is" to serve as an
additionnal (not so good) sample.

    The GNUSTEP EOF Oracle7 Adaptor  is intended to be compatible with
    Oracle  6,  Oracle  7  and  Oracle 8  databases.   Therefore,  the
    underlying API choosen to implement the Oracle7 Adaptor is the OCI
    v.  7, which is deemed  compatible with databases from Oracle 6 to
    Oracle 8.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/