Re: OS Suggestions?

From: Andreas Bohne
Subject: Re: OS Suggestions?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:05:45 +0200

Hi Tim,

Am Dienstag den, 25. Juni 2002, um 10:50, schrieb Bissell, Tim:

The main problem I encountered with FreeBSD was the lack of a decent
ObjC debugger - I mean one where you can go:

br [MyClass myMethod:arg:]

There is a patch for gdb 5.1 at ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/patches that does exactly that. I used it under Windoze with gdb 5.1.1 sources, and after a small change in the patch file because of an added line it applied ok. The resulting gdb is kind of unstable (often crashes after making a method call), but I suppose it will work better under a decent OS... The only thing I was missing (apart from instability and bad key bindings in the MinGW environment) was the fb (future breakpoint) command, but then this may be one of the NeXT additions. BTW - I found the reference to the patch somewhere hidden at gnustep.org (couldn't find it now) - the developer FAQ would be a better place IMHO.

HTH,
Andreas