Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:34:50 +0100 (BST)

> Hi all,
>
> I have an unusual problem that seems to have manifested itself over the past
> 5 weeks (i was away the last 3 and didn't have my code working before now so
> I hadn't noticed it). My bundles for the Preferences.app save values in the
> user defaults. When I first had my code for changing the appearance working
> around 6 or 7 weeks ago there was no problem but then the way that colours
> were set was changed to use a colour list instead of being able to make a
> list in NSGlobalDomain of the things you wanted to change, I notice this has
> been re-introduced, but now every 2 or 3 times I open the Preferences.app my
> object / key values are gone from NSGlobalDomain{}. I thought it was
> something I had done incorrectly but after a good few hours of trying to
> findout where I'd gone wrong I decided to try my old version which did
> exactly the same :( Could anyone shead any light on this, I'm 100% sure it
> wasn't doing it before but suddenly anything I set there is being overwritten
> every second!
 or third
> time I open the Preferences.app.
>
> If someone wants to try the old version which I haven't touched in well..
> before it stoped working as expected then you can get it here to try and
> reproduce the problem.
>
> www.3rddimension.digital-bushido.org/files/AppearanceBundle.tgz

Hi, thanks.

It looks this is a very high priority bug, but I can't reproduce it. I
tried building and installing your preferences bundle, and using it, and I
don't seem to get any user defaults corruption.

I would appreciate very much if someone who can reproduce the bug could
build a little testcase showing it, or at least track down in which part
of the gnustep-base code the problem happens, or under which conditions it
happens ... having something to start with would help a lot in fixing the
bug.