Re: setter/getter discussion

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: setter/getter discussion
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:46:51 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:09:30 +0100
>
> > The autorelease  pool sends dealloc to  an object it has  only if it's
> > retain count goes down to zero when it releases it.
> >
> > So, if you retain the object, you can autorelease (release in the future).
>
> Very interesting. I might have to go away and change the way I have
> implemented this in my own foundation kit in that case... I actually
> implemnted it using a flag to say whether or not an object had been
> autoreleased, to prevent it being autoreleased twice!
>
> -bat.

Yes, you can  insert an object into an  autorelease pool several times
like you can  insert an object into an array  at several indices. (And
of course, into several arrays and several autorelease pools).  What's
important is the retain count and how and when it goes to 0.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/