Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:31:35 +0200

>> The last MAJOR change I'm debating is the Developer domain. It would be
>> nice to have all the developer stuff in one location. The drawback is
>> that we are separating things, like Libraries and Headers, which really
>> should be together.
>
>If having a Developer domain means that there is yet another directory
>where tools and apps can be installed - which means yet another directory
>to add to the PATH and/or to the list of dirs to search for apps, then
>that is another obvious drawback - PATH and similar variables are already
>too long and big.

I must admit that having a Developer domain seemed like a "nice to have" but it
really doesn't fit in to the concept. The domains
Network/System/Local/USER_ROOT all refer to entities who "vend" a domain
(Nerwork Admin/Distro/Sys Admin/User). Developers refers to a certein user
group that uses this domain (similar to bin/sbin-concept). What makes them so
special for them to have thier own domain? Access rights to certain apps have
to be handled in a consistent way for all kinds of user groups. Picking
Developer seems rather arbitrary. And I don't think it's worth sacrificing
execution/build time for it. If I want a "Developer" workstation, I can install
the packeges in the Local Domain (unless I have a dedicated Developer-Distro
which might have them in System). (Maybe we could compromise on inistalling
ProjectCenter, Gorm, Palettes and the Makefiles in Local by default, if that
isn't already the case.) (Hmm. but maybe I'm going to far.)

Just some thoughts, I'm not all to much into this.

Cheers,
Dave